Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Vertically Challenged and other random happenings

Let me start by saying what an incredible weekend that I had. I was by myself for three straight days - no husband, no kids. I honestly can not remember the last time that happened. I'm fairly certain it was prior to June 9, 2003. As much as I love my family, I needed this time by myself. I went shopping on Saturday for Miss Piper's bedroom accessories. It was so nice being able to go from store to store at my own pace. I spent 90 minutes in Hancock Fabrics looking at every fabric in the store. Able to examine the width, the print, the detailing ... I loved it. But, not half as much as being able to spend nearly 4 hours in Hobby Lobby. I went down every aisle. Even the ones for crafts that I know nothing about ... just because I could. I ended up with some great things for Piper's room, and minus a large vertical picture for one of her walls, I think we're done!

Speaking of Piper, she says the funniest things. One of the things that she looks most forward too is being a Mommy. She is always saying "When I'm a Mommy, I'm gonna ...." This is usually followed by "drink Diet Coke", "sleep in a big bed", "name my baby Barbie Redford", "drive a car with no top" (aka a convertable) ... or something of similar nature. Anyone that has children knows that using the bathroom by yourself after you have kids is impossible. Regardless of whether you close the door when you go in, some little child is sure to wonder in while you are there. One day, Piper said "When I'm the mommy, my feet will touch the ground when I use the potty." I remember laughing at this, thinking it was funny that she would notice that.

I hate to disappoint her, but while using the bathroom today at work, I noticed that my feet don't touch the ground in our stalls. (Sorry for the TMI.) At the moment that I realized that, her comment immediately popped into my head. Being as petite as she is, I'd say that the chances of her being any taller than me are pretty slim. All of the other mommy things, I'll encourage her to do and with her will-power, there's no doubt that she'll be able to do them all ... except have her feet touch the ground in EVERY potty!

3 comments:

Rachael said...

That is quite possibly the cutest thing ever. I love hearing about children and the very random things they say. I can't wait to have kids!

EmmySuh said...

Man, I had to work hard to post this comment! I had a Google account but couldn't remember the password, then when I finally made a new one, it erased my comment! Take II:

I love the cute things kids randomly say. My favourite of Piper's is the Barbie Redford one. Where did she even get that idea? I used to baby sit a little girl and one day on the toilet (yes this is a perfect segue in the next section) she looked up at me and said so cheerfully, "Sometimes I strain my bottom!"

Ah, the short thing. My feet seldom touch the floor on toilets, public seating, pews, etc. We get used to it...don't we?

Silly Monkey said...

That is TOO Cute!