Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Water Heater



Our water heater is in our garage. I remember very specifically the day they installed it during the building process. It has a sticker on the front - you know the one, with the red X indicating not to touch because it might be hot. I remember Avery asking what that sticker said. I'm foggy on what my answer was. Whatever it was I'm sure that it went something along the lines of "don't touch, because it might be hot ... even Mommy's and Daddy's can't touch it."

Now, every time that we pass the water heater, every time that anyone passes the water heater ... be it us, friend, repairman ... Avery and/or Piper (I've heard it in stereo many times) say "Only God and Jesus can touch that!!!" They are very committed to that.

It's a funny balance trying to teach the kids about God and Jesus, and just religion in general. During Christmas, it's hard to distinguish between God and Santa - both can see you all the time, both love you very much, both want you to share and be good all the time ... Jesus, since he was a man, is easier to teach. But, when I hear them say "Only God and Jesus can touch that!!!" I know that at least they understand that God and Jesus have powers far beyond what us, as humans, do.

I pray every morning that they will understand the power that God holds over their life, and that they will always trust him to guide their path. That same thought speaks to my favorite scripture:

Jeremiah 29:11 - "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

... and that future holds, at least for now, not ever touching the water heater :)

2 comments:

Rachael said...

wow. thats a very a powerful post. it is very important that they understand that. i am exciting to see their relationship grow in faith

Covered In Crafts said...

That is just wonderful. What a sweet child.