Sunday, July 20, 2008

Question of the Day



I had a wonderful time in San Antonio at the DCI show. It's always great to catch up with friends and former students - this show is one of the highlights of my year for that exact reason. A lot of times, for me, it's totally refreshing to be with familiar friends.

It's definitely summer in Texas. I think it was 98-degrees yesterday. Saying it was hot would be an understatement! However, I noticed that everyone kept asking me, "How do you stand the heat down here? It's so (add adjective here) hot!!!"

Here's my answer friends ... I don't make a practice of standing out in parking lots or on asphalt much. I retired from teaching marching band when we moved to Houston for this reason! I go from my air conditioned house, to my air conditioned car, to my air conditioned office that is so cold on a daily basis that I run a space heater 365 days a year!!! On a non-work day, I go from my air conditioned car to the pool. Standing outside for prolonged periods of time isn't on my daily to-do list, therefore it's really not much of a thought.

Here's a comparison from about 10 minutes ago between Nashville and Houston:

Temperature - Houston: 95 degrees; Nashville: 93 degrees
Humidity - Houston: 34%; Nashville: 40%
Dew Point - Houston: 63 degrees; Nashville: 65 degrees
"Feels Like" - Houston: 97 degrees; Nashville: 95 degrees
UV Index - Houston: 3; Nashville: 1

As you see, it's not a lot different from home! People at work are always saying "How are you dealing with the humidity?" I try to explain that Nashville has high humidity too (today it's higher THERE!) ... people look at me with disbelief when I try to explain that we have a true summer in Tennessee. The difference in weather comes not in summer, it's in winter! While we're enjoying weather in the high 60s in February, people in Nashville are bundled up to the hilt!

So, to answer the question once more ... "How do I handle the heat?" My answer is ... "the same way I have for the last 34 years!"

No comments: