Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Music City Mystique? WGI?

This afternoon, I'm leaving to spend the next four days with some of the best kids on the planet. These kids (kids to me anyway) are the members of Music City Mystique, a non-profit music organization that my husband and his friend, Chris Finen, began in 1994.

To put it very simply, the approximately 40 members - girls and boys with an average age of 20 - put together an 8 minute percussion theatrical performance set in a gymnasium. This weekend is the World Championship competition where they will compete with teams from all over the US and the world.

This little Tennessee group is no stranger to this contest. They've won the World Championship more than any other team - 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2004 and again in 2006. They know what they're doing. I was honored to be part of the staff from 2002-2006.

I've was married while teaching this group, I had two babies while teaching this group, I had to tell these kids that I loved as my own that my family was moving 15 hours away. Needless to say - we've experienced a lot of life together and I can't wait to see them this weekend.

If you have a Twitter account, please consider following them @MusCtyMystique. I'll be doing updates many times throughout the day.

Here is a video clip from a 2007 rehearsal ... it will give you a sneak peak at this activity if you've never seen it before!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is so awesome!! Good luck to them this weekend, hope they are doing well!!

From your tweets it sounds like you are having a great time- yay!

I only wish we were closer to Dayton so I could drop by and join you!! :-D
If WC comp is ever in Cleveland or Pittsburgh, you let me know!!

Silly Monkey said...

Still waiting on those photos from this year......